Monday, November 12, 2012

A Beautiful Gift


A Beautiful Gift
My husband and I received a beautiful quilt from my mother-in-law.  On it was a pink heart and at the bottom she had dedicated the quilt to us with love.

For years I carefully set it on my bed every morning after I woke up.  I smoothed the corners just right.  It was beautiful. 

One night I was extra tired so I climbed into our bed without removing the quilt.  I have never slept so well.  It was warm and comfortable and just the right weight.  It was like sleeping in what I imagine Heaven is like.  So as I climbed out of bed, I looked at the crumbled quilt.  It was no longer smooth or quite as beautiful.  You could no longer make out the heart.  But I had this sense, strange as it may sound, life could be like that quilt.  Sometimes mine has been just like it.  Beautiful on the outside, but I never really wrapped myself around it and embraced it or the warmth of my loved ones.

 Every night now I sleep under that quilt.  I crave its warmth and love.  It reminds me of my mother-in-law and how much she loves us.  It reminds me of so many things.  Such as a well worn heart is better than a perfect heart that never has loved or been broken.  And sometimes our lives are messy.  But in that mess sometimes we can find everything we ever needed. 

1 comment: